At Wales High School we are striving to ensure that all students are given every opportunity to succeed and achieve their full potential.
The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium provides schools with an additional £500 for each Year 7 pupil who did not achieve at least level 4 in reading and/or maths at the end of key stage 2.
The catch-up premium is spent in an integrated and targeted way, to ensure that students receive the opportunity for additional support and access to all learning opportunities which will enhance their literacy and numeracy.
Planned spend of the current academic year’s allocation
A variety of initiatives run to meet the needs of the individual. Curriculum changes have been developed.
- Intensive small-group tuition in World Studies (5hrs a week per group) and Golden Hour (1hr per week per group)
- Small group additional sets for both English and Maths
- Appointment of specialist staff (intervention coaches, 3 x literacy 1 x numeracy)
- Purchasing Accelerated Reader, a computer-based learning tool to develop reading.
- Purchasing Word Shark and Number Shark to focus 1 to 1 withdrawal sessions.
- Parental Partnership Maths Programme
Impact of catch-up premium on pupils, tracking and monitoring their attainment.
Each learner is tracked and monitored at each assessment point. Intervention strategy meetings are used to discuss the needs of the individual and change the intervention to suit the learner.