The Ofsted team were most professional, they rightly rigorously challenged our own self-evaluation and yet worked with us closely. I am so pleased that they were able to recognise the hard work and commitment we all have to Wales High School.
Summary of Key Findings for parents and pupils
This is a good school.
- As a result of good and sometimes outstanding teaching, the majority of students make good progress to reach standards that are well above average by the end of Year 11.
- Over time, students have made exceptional progress in history, geography and religious studies.
- Achievement in the sixth form has improved over time and is now good. The sixth form is well led and this makes a good contribution to improvements in achievement.
- Students are asked probing questions to deepen their understanding of what they are learning. They are set interesting tasks that relate to ‘real life’ situations.
- Sixth-form students make an exceptional contribution to the life of the school and particularly to the good behaviour and safety of students in school.
- The curriculum provides a wealth of exciting opportunities that broaden students’ experiences and prepares them well for the next stage of their education, employment or training.
- Leaders and managers have developed a strong sense of purpose amongst staff to drive forward sustained improvement. This contributes well to ensuring good teaching and achievement.
- Governors use their skills well to support and challenge the leadership team in order to achieve their high ambitions for the school.